Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Michael Buchan

Fly fishing book suggestions
« on: 15/04/2011 at 09:22 »
I am away off on holiday in a few weeks.  Plan is to get up in the morning have a cast off  the beach and then chill by the pool with a beer and read :z16.  Need to stock up with a few fly fishing books and looking for ideas.

Anybody read anything that they liked lately?

Just finished reading Trout Lessons by Ed Engle

Good read some interesting stuff looking forward to trying out on the Don like using jumbo spinner patterns for searching pool tails.  Also fishing Mice patterns at night sounds awesome so going to spend a few nights persevering with it.

Can also recommend two of his other books tying small flies and fishing small flies.

Cheers Michael

Peter McCallum

Re: Fly fishing book suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 15/04/2011 at 11:14 »
for a good read you cant beat john geirach IMHO

Michael Buchan

« Reply #2 on: 15/04/2011 at 12:09 »
I agree with you those are my favorite books.  He has a new one coming out in May looking forward to it.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 15/04/2011 at 13:05 »
Bob Wyatt's Trout hunting is an excellent read

:z18

Jim

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 15/04/2011 at 13:16 »
Stan Headley's Loch fishers bible comes highly reccomended, although i have not yet got round to reading it yet

:z18

Jim

Richard Tong

« Reply #5 on: 18/04/2011 at 17:29 »
Anything by Gierach. On holiday no doubt you are looking for a pleasant read rather than something technical so can also recommend Thomas McGuane 'The Longest Silence' (wonderful), 'A Dream of Jewelled Fishes' by John Aston ( a few quid , recently published and very good. I have also just read the new book by Dennis Moss 'Irish Rise' and though not a Loch fisher myself I always read his articles in T & S. He tends to target big browns on the Irish Loughs and there are some cracking chapters in there. Another book well written and very funny in places is 'Somewhere Else'
by Charles Rangely-Wilson

Richard

Peter McCallum

« Reply #6 on: 18/04/2011 at 18:19 »

'A Dream of Jewelled Fishes' by John Aston

Forgot about that, a good read.

Also try

The stolen years by hugh falkus

Michael Buchan

« Reply #7 on: 19/04/2011 at 10:01 »
Cheers guys  :z16,

Just picked up 'A Dream of Jewelled Fishes' by John Aston for 1p (£2.80 p&p but still) also on the way or still to read
Trout Magic by Robert Tarver
Learning from the Water by Rene Harrop
Fly Fishing the Baja and Beyond by Mike Rieser.

Will pick up Trout hunting and somewhere else.  20+hrs of flying to get there  :z10 so will have pleanty time to read.

Agree the Longest silence very good read.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 19/04/2011 at 12:28 »
Anything by Gierach. On holiday no doubt you are looking for a pleasant read rather than something technical so can also recommend Thomas McGuane 'The Longest Silence' (wonderful),

Would Second that :z18

Sandy

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #9 on: 25/04/2011 at 17:42 »
Arthur Ransomes" Rod & Line", or Negley Farsons" Gone fishing" easgach1

Kym Goldsworthy

« Reply #10 on: 26/04/2011 at 11:55 »
Another vote for Bob Wyatt's Trout Hunting. Best thing I've read in ages.
Also worth hunting down is New Zealand Masters on Flyfishing, a terrific selection of essays about fly fishing in general and the Shakey Isles in particular.
And Howell Raines' Flyfishing Through The Midlife Crisis is something a bit different.
kym

Offthebard

« Reply #11 on: 26/04/2011 at 13:33 »
Angling Lines by Bruce Sandison is one of those light reading jobs ideal for the holiday its full of wee short stories and anecdotes about all sorts of Scottish waters.

I found it full of those little observations that take you straight back to the side of some obscure loch that sticks in your mind for some untold reason. :cool:

In fact I'd reckon on reading anything by Bruce as good copy.

Sandy.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #12 on: 26/04/2011 at 20:11 »
Rambles with a fishing rod by Roscoe, the fishermans bedside book by BB,the roving rod by Hubert Palmer,all worth a read, easgach1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com