Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Re: Spec Me a Rod
« Reply #25 on: 20/05/2010 at 21:43 »
Hi Chiz
You have had an amazing response concidering fishing conditions are excellent at the moment! I think you have a good settup there but can I offer a little advise?
I will anyway :)
Forget the bag, unless you ate gonna be boat fishing all the time it will quickly become a nuisance. Beauty if fly fishing is you don't have to carry much gear and can be mobile.
Get a waistcoat or fishing jacket, one with plenty pockets and rings for hanging stuff like scissors off.

The best suggestion I could make is get a casting lesson from a qualified casting instructor. Ben D on here for example. It will be the best money you could spend as a beginner.

Where do you intend to fish?

Chiz

Re: Spec Me a Rod
« Reply #26 on: 21/05/2010 at 09:44 »
I've already had tuition from Danny at Lochters. Not sure if he's qualified but he most certainly showed me the basics and how to get the line in the water!!

I'm glad i did it as i had no idea how to cast! I've been twice now, and the second time i seen a vast improvement with casting, and also got used to my own technique and figured out what's best for me.

Due to the fact that i don't drive, i'm reliant of lifts. I have a friend who's just started fly fishing as well and we've been going to Lochters the past 2 weeks. (due to them renting out rods). Since i've got my own kit now, i'm planning on going to Haddo's after payday, and then the Don, once i'm comfortable with myself (and also once i get wadders!  :z16)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com