Re: Fly Lines .... stretch .... or no stretch
« Reply #25 on: 25/03/2022 at 12:59 »
Looks like fun Mike - hope you enjoy a good season  :z16

Mike Cleaves

Re: Fly Lines .... stretch .... or no stretch
« Reply #26 on: 26/03/2022 at 00:08 »
Tight lines!   

Mike Cleaves

Re: Fly Lines .... stretch .... or no stretch.
« Reply #27 on: 07/12/2022 at 11:33 »
Interesting topic  :wink

I can see advantages of low/non stretch in sinking lines (in particular) and whilst I suspect that a low/non stretch line could have an advantage for casting it would be minimal at best. A very small percentage in improvement with no real clear advantage over 'conventional' technology lines.
I suppose the only fair test would be to make up two fly lines of exactly the same profile and exactly the same weight cast them on the same rod and see which went further..... but even then the chances are that the next person to pick up the rod and cast both lines after each other might get a different result...... hmmmmm.
Lets' face it, if there were a huge advantage for distance then everyone but everyone going for distance competition casting would use one now wouldn't they :? As far as I'm aware they don't.
Do we look for low-stretch in sinking lines :? Well, I do as it happens. Trouble is I have a strong distaste for most products from a certain brand well known for being at the forefront of this 'technology', I tend to see most of their advertising material as quality bullshit of the highest order.
I remain to be convinced.

Hamish  :z3     
I prefer non-stretch fly lines which I construct myself. An example of one of my lines is :-  A sink tip is constructed as follows. starting at the tip I have 3' of 1mm dia red & white dacron which is spliced to 8' of 1.3mm dacron which is spliced to 20' of floating red UHMWPE [Dyneema] which is then spliced to 0.8mm floating red Dyneema running/shooting line. This is my 'go-to' line for nymphing on lakes. The wet weight of the head is 13.6gms which equates to an AFTM8. The free sinking rate of the dacron was approximately 6 seconds per foot before attachment to the floating belly. The tip is blobbed with a lighter flame to which is attached  20lbs bs clear mono with a 4-turn uni knot and looped to accommodate the leader. The only disadvantage of this setup is during the winter when my fingers get cold handling the wet line. Full sinkers are made from dacron at different diameters. Lines are spliced together in different combinations. I have had sea trout smash my 12lb leader when using a stretchy line, this has not happened to me using a non-stretch line with the same B.S.  nylon leader. If a sea trout gets up a head of steam swimming downstream after taking a fly and the take is not detected early enough then I can see why it is possible for a break to occur. With a non-stretch fly line I find that I can set the hook earlier before the fish can accelerate downstream which lessens the load on the leader. My lines have no memory as there is no coating to contend with. The dry weight is lighter than a standard AFTM number, but the lines will absorb some water thus increasing the weight for casting.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com