Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Mason

Disabled fishing
« on: 22/07/2024 at 12:34 »
Hi everyone, my first post here (I think!)
I have a friend from Devon visiting next month and I want to take him fishing. He has a disability that means he needs to use an electric wheelchair. His arm strength is weak but he can manage a fixed spool reel. His background is coarse fishing but there is little of that in Aberdeenshire! I'm looking for a day trip and I suspect we will be limited to a trout pond in Aberdeenshire such as Lochter or Raemoir, but with my friends needs in mind does anyone have any recommendations?
Rob

James Laraway

Re: Disabled fishing
« Reply #1 on: 22/07/2024 at 13:08 »
Hi Rob,

I'm suspecting lochter would be the best bet although its been a few years since i lived in the 'shire.

I don't think i know of any lochs with a 'wheely boat' unfortunately near Aberdeen but someone might know better than me.

I used to course fish aboyne loch in the past, which was great fun, but i dont know if their accessibility has improved. Might be worth giving them a call and explaining the situation ?

regards
James

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 22/07/2024 at 13:35 »
Hi Rob

Welcome to the forum  :z16

I can't help with a recommendation I'm afraid, but like James, I'd guess that Lochter fishery would hopefully be an option ...... certainly worth giving them a call.

Cheers
Mike

Rob Mason

« Reply #3 on: 22/07/2024 at 17:39 »
Thanks for your help guys. I will get in touch with them.

James Laraway

« Reply #4 on: 24/07/2024 at 10:41 »
maybe try calling Loch Insch fishery too ?

Thanks for your help guys. I will get in touch with them.

Rob Mason

« Reply #5 on: 24/07/2024 at 16:36 »
I took a trip out to Lochter today. I think that will suit our needs well. Shame that facilities for disabled anglers are limited to bait ponds but hey ho! We will make the most of it.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com