Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Scottish Game Fair 2024
« on: 27/06/2024 at 11:29 »
Soon be time for the Scottish Game Fair 2024.

Who is going this year?

Robert MacDonald-Lewis

Re: Scottish Game Fair 2024
« Reply #1 on: 28/06/2024 at 14:49 »
I haven't really considered it. I did have a look at the website a little while ago, but there seemed to be little information available on who would be exhibiting there this year.

Actually, I just had another look and found the exhibitors' info. There doesn't look to be that much of an improvement from last year.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 29/06/2024 at 13:59 »
Just had a look using 'fishing' as a filter in the exhibitor list Robert, I see what you mean.

Apart from fly tying and the casting tuition, demos & competitions - it looks as if Somers might be the only fishing tackle stand on Fishermans Row this year?

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 30/06/2024 at 06:42 »
So the photo above is an accurate representation of fisherman's row?

Just had a look using 'fishing' as a filter in the exhibitor list Robert, I see what you mean.

Apart from fly tying and the casting tuition, demos & competitions - it looks as if Somers might be the only fishing tackle stand on Fishermans Row this year?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 30/06/2024 at 10:09 »
So the photo above is an accurate representation of fisherman's row?
I don't know if 'Fishermans Row' is still a thing James?

That photo with the rods and sign is one that I took many moons ago.

Robert MacDonald-Lewis

« Reply #5 on: 30/06/2024 at 10:41 »
It is a shame that nothing has improved from last year. I spoke to someone who had said that the fair increasing to three days made it too expensive for many of the fishing companies to attend. It feels like a bit of a missed opportunity.

I may still go along, to show support and have a nosey round the other stuff that is on. But theses events make for an expensive day out at £33 for adult admission and £10 for a child (6-15yrs), and that doesn't factor in food, drinks. Easily aproaching or exceeding £100 before any spending accidents. 

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 30/06/2024 at 11:09 »
"spending accidents"  *smiley-grin*

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 30/06/2024 at 16:26 »
I'm sure we would all like the Game Fair to be a success ( we have discussed this many times over the years ) but sadly, I think any repeat of my photo below is pretty unlikely and that was more than 10 years ago  *smiley-sad*

Like so many events, it was mostly about catching up with friends.

Robert MacDonald-Lewis

« Reply #8 on: 05/07/2024 at 15:40 »
I will be heading along tomorrow. I've said elsewhere before that these events won't improve or will disappear if we don't make the most of them. Came to the conclusion that its time to put my money where my mouth is.  Worst case its a good opportunity to catch-up with some good friends.

There may also be a couple of bits and bobs I could be looking for.....

Allan Liddle

« Reply #9 on: 15/07/2024 at 07:29 »
Good buzz about the tying marquee and a successful show.
We're trying very hard to make sure angling has a presence and working again on the idea of a large marquee which would let smaller trade stands become involved.
It's a pity the fishing and casting isn't all together as it would make more sense and let everyone see that there is actually a few companies present.
This year we had 10 in the Anglers Mall marquee ( 9 fly tyers and Yellowbelly Flytying selling tying materials), Twin Peakes,  McKenzie, Somers, Gamefish, Fishpal and the casting events, put together that's not bad.
Hopefully the marquee can be bigger next year.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com