Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Your Fly Fishing Forum
« on: 24/03/2024 at 12:50 »
Fishing The Fly Scotland - If you are a member, then this is your fly fishing forum.

Simply dropping in to read the latest content? - Please take a moment to participate, post and reply!

This is your web space - make the most of it  :z16

James Laraway

Re: Your Fly Fishing Forum
« Reply #1 on: 25/03/2024 at 09:36 »
Totally agree Mike

Although there are LOTs of views there is a bit of a lack of contribution generally.

Now we all love to hear fishing tales so please don't think people wont be interested - as we will.

This is not like other 'forums' in that people don't attack each other or be nasty to one another  so there is absolutely nothing to fear from writing a few lines  :z16

Steve Wright

« Reply #2 on: 17/10/2024 at 16:09 »
Hi Mike,  really good point. I’m new to this site and to fly fishing. I’ve been laid low for a few years waiting for a hip replacement. Whilst recovering from the op, I thought I’d start tying a few flies, hoping to get on the water when more recovered. That could be Spring 2025! I guess what stops me posting is my ignorance and lack of experience, so I read to learn…. You really are a friendly bunch, so I reckon I should just get on and post!

So, here’s my first question. What’s the fishing like on the Whiteadder in the Borders? Where can explore in the winter before casting a fly next season?

Cheers
Steve

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 18/10/2024 at 09:26 »
Hi Steve

Absolutely, the forum is all about enjoying your fishing, not your ability or experience  :z16

I can't help with the Borders I'm afraid, but hopefully some of the other members will be able to.

Cheers
Mike

Allan Liddle

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 13:31 »
Hi Steve

Great that you're looking to get out and about again.
You live in an area with loads of quality fishing available.
The Whiteadder is a cracking stream and can be really good, however access can also be a bit wild.  Great if you (like me) love that style of fishing, not so good if mobility is an issue.  There's a club on the lower section and i'm sure the members will point you in the right direction.
The Reservoir is also good with smaller, hard fighting and free rising fish all over it, a great place to wander its shores chasing those residents.

You've a few rainbow waters close to hand the best of which is the excellent Coldingham Loch which is now members only in terms of fishing access (unless you stay in a cottage), but it's a beautiful place and well worth visiting / enquiring about a cast or two there, maybe even joining the club?

However, all that said, you've the Mighty Tweed and loads of access availability on an excellent trout and graying river.  Quite a few clubs along its length which offer fishing both directly on the Tweed and it's tributaries, as well as a few offering club lochs as well.

Love the Borders for fishing, truly spoiled for choice, and if this isn't enough then you've the reservoirs around Edinburgh which can be excellent.

Tight Lines.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com