Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

Fishing a 'stimulator' fly
« on: 22/03/2024 at 15:56 »
So.....I've always like the look of the 'stimulator' type flies. A posting on FB the other day sounded like people may be 'pulling them' on a loch style setup. I have always assumned that they were just big dry flies that you would fish static or near static

Does anyone fish them and how do you fish them ?

Robert MacDonald-Lewis

Re: Fishing a 'stimulator' fly
« Reply #1 on: 11/06/2024 at 14:42 »
I use one a couple of time last season on hill lochs, fished it as I would a Sedgehog. Wouldn't like to guess if it was more or less successful, but for ease of tying and cost of materials the Sedgehog is probably preferable.

Stimulators seems to be popular in Ireland.

James Laraway

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 15:58 »
I do like the look of them so I'll maybe tie some up.

As for sedgehogs I really need to learn to tie them. I bought quite a few while in the tackle shop in Stomness so have never had to actually tie one myself !

If anyone is passing the store in Stromness i highly recommend looking at the flies they sell. They are all clearly done by local tyers and are top notch - especially the 'lure style ' muddlers !

Question for you - how do you fish your 'hogs ?

Ive had fish retrieving them which is my 'usual' style but have also had some great fish when fishing them static...

John Wastle

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 16:17 »
Hi James, hogs and half hogs are my flies of choice for much of by WBT fishing on lochs.
They cover so many bases from static dries to full on pulling. Most of the time I will fish a hybrid approach....2 or 3 flies cast out and left static for a bit before a fo8 or slow pull retrieve. Normally a full floater and nylon but sometimes fluoro carbon or a slow midge tip to draw them under seems to work well.

Colour variations are endless but black, claret and hot orange are my most effective up north. A half hog mayfly version is an excelent emerging dun pattern.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com