Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

As my parents are moving I thought I would grab a last chance to fish one of the lochs from my childhood - Loch Ochiltree in Dumfries and Galloway that is managed by Newton Stewart Angling Association so  with permit in hand I had my first day on the water on Sunday

I used to fish it a lot for pike back in the day but never had much success with the rainbows ( as usually on the association lochs they were hammered in the first week after stocking then there were no fish left until the 2nd and last stocking of the year - when the same happened again !)

I digress....

I tool my #10 for the pike and my #4 for the trout in case any showed.

Loch Ochiltree is a decent sized natural loch with lots of character so although I don't normally fish for 'bows  on a loch like  that (wild !) I was willing  to turn to the 'dark side'...

They now also allow tubing on Ochiltree so I set afloat ( they have only very recently allowed it)

Within 5 mins i was into a good rainbow - who would have thought ! It was an overwintered fish that fought VERY well on the #4 glass

Changed to my #10 as I entered a pikey looking bay and there was a big splash. Trout thinks me, so back to the #4 and I cover the splash. Big boil but no pull. Pike thinks me - back to the #10 and a big pike fly - which gets nailed. However the fish rips off at speed and it turns out to be a  trout of about 3bs  *smiley-lol*

I then got another good trout on the pike fly before I went back to the #4. The trout were taking the fly really well and i landed about 7 I reckon.

My best (half) day ever on the loch. No pike thought

Monday I was back, Different wind direction and much stronger. The fish were MUCH more finnicky but I still landed 3 , lost a couple and missed loads.

Sunday they wanted a stripped or moved fly ( hogs / hoppers etc)

Monday they wanted them almost static. Had some lovely rises to the fly which I could even see over the waves - even if some of them missed or turned away at the last moment.

All the trout had full tails and were clearly overwintered

Good times...

( I don't normally take any trout as i don't eat them however my dad does so he was well happy !)

Mike Barrio

Re: Fishing in SW Scotland - a trip down memory lane
« Reply #1 on: 03/08/2022 at 14:07 »
Always fun to explore ( or revisit ) any water for a change of scenery  :)

Nice one  :z16

James Laraway

Re: Fishing in SW Scotland - a trip down memory lane
« Reply #2 on: 03/08/2022 at 15:28 »
you will notice that your 'clicker reel' is now permanently on my glass #4 as it balances it perfectly

My Vosseler Air One is now being used on my #7 Haldin.....

Always fun to explore ( or revisit ) any water for a change of scenery  :)

Nice one  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com