Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Spinner ID
« on: 14/07/2010 at 20:51 »
A few of these flying about on warmer days and evenings, they are readily distinguishable by their very long tails ........ 2" +/-

Anyone ID them?

Iain

Noel Kelly

Re: Spinner ID
« Reply #1 on: 14/07/2010 at 21:40 »
Iain nice pic :z16 I have been wondering about those and have done a little research. My guess is pond olive  :z8

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 14/07/2010 at 23:41 »
Will get an answer and post back

Cheers

Ben

Richard Tong

« Reply #3 on: 15/07/2010 at 06:38 »
Iain,

It looks like a Large Brook Spinner (male-big eyes and claspers under tail) to me. Has a large hindwing and even as a spinner shows pronounced venation of wings which indicates that the Duns wing is also heavily venated, which it is. Surprised the upper body is not a bit redder but could be the bright sunlight is playing tricks with the camera. Body colour can vary hugely so not a good indicator anyway,

Richard

Richard Tong

« Reply #4 on: 15/07/2010 at 16:59 »
Spoke to Paul about this earlier and he will have a look. I did think that if it was a Large Brook Spinner  they were a bit late however Goddard has them emerging from March till July,peaking in April and May so it may well be these. Are you still getting Large Brook Duns? If it is not one of these it could be a Late(False) March Brown or a Large Green Spinner. I think it is too early to be an Autumn Dun. Iain see if you can catch one of the duns and it will be easier to tell

Richard

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com