Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Favourite CDC Flies?
« on: 08/08/2024 at 20:31 »
What's your favourite CDC fly?

I was fishing this one at Loch Insch the other day in size 16, it was the fly that tempted a few fish, but as usual I struggled to keep it floating   *smiley-grin*

For the river, I favour Sandy's CDC Spiders and Sedge patterns.

Mike Barrio

Re: Favourite CDC Flies?
« Reply #1 on: 09/08/2024 at 09:01 »
How do you balance the amount of CDC used in a fly pattern?

The more CDC you add - the better the fly will float? That would seem logical, but I'm not convinced it works in practice.

Robert MacDonald-Lewis

« Reply #2 on: 09/08/2024 at 17:12 »
I have always liked the CDC and Elk.

I tied up a few CDC Shuttlecock emergers recently, but I usually use a DHE, as it is easier to keep floating even after catching a fish.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 10/08/2024 at 12:03 »
I'm a big fan of the DHE too Robert  :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 12/08/2024 at 10:25 »
My CDC spider is my goto as most folk know.

on a size 12 and 14  I use one cdc feathers worth of fibres and half a partridge feather and that seems to provide the perfect amount to float consistently. I might use 1.5 feathers worth of CDC for a size 10, but I am using FM 5050/55 hooks which are quite light, but very strong. I find spun CDC floats better than using whole feathers and requires less feathers to be effective.

For the plume tip style flies I usually need 4 whole feathers to balance a size 12 hook. 3 on a 14 and 2 on a 16.

Sedges are a different matter, I like to use 2-3 feathers for a size 14 and then add a wee spun collar with the bits i've cut off from the wings. it seems to float really well and as it gets slowly shredded it keeps floating and I think that is to do with the collar rather than the wing.
They start out like this

And often end up like this and are still catching just as many fish and still floating  as well

Michael Kearney

« Reply #5 on: 13/08/2024 at 03:36 »
Primarily, I utilise CDC in flowing water. I do use it when tying flies for stillwaters, but usually with the addition of either cock hackle or deer hair. I like the look of Grant Luke’s Grunter described by Magnus in his posting of 26 June 2024 and think it likely that trout in Tasmania lakes would rise to a size 10 or 12 of that design during a dun emergence.

I agree with Sandy’s comment that spun CDC has superior floating capabilities than complete feathers with their shafts.
For my fishing, Sandy’s CDC Spiders with his inclusion of soft hackled game feathers provides a design template for upwing duns of any species in sizes from 10-14. The floatation provided by spinning the feather fibres minus their shafts allows me to float duns using this fly design in river conditions ranging from fast riffles to glides with flat and unbroken surfaces.

For species with duns matching hook sizes 16-20, and when fishing unbroken water, my first preference is for Jeremy Lucas’ Plume Tip - see https://sunrayflyfish.com/en-au/blogs/news/the-plume-tip-the-ultimate-refinement-by-jeremy-lucas for Jeremy’s thoughts on his design. Rivers that I fish in Tasmania and in New Zealand, particularly the Mataura with its large population of Deleatidium vernale, feature good hatches of small, dark coloured duns. In these conditions, a well presented Plume Tip sized to match the naturals opens a door to glorious fishing.

When fishing smooth glides and faced with the need to imitate insects with a floating fly smaller than a size 20 hook, I use Dave Southall’s variant of Jack Tucker’s CDC IOBO Humpy. As you can read at https://www.thefloatingfly.com/new-page-2, Dave uses this fly design in sizes 12 - 24.

I also tie spider flies with a CDC collar and include similar in some of my bead-head nymphs.
I believe that CDC is a wonderful material.

Mike Barrio

Re: Favourite CDC Flies? New
« Reply #6 on: 14/08/2024 at 17:54 »
Great stuff guys  :z16

Re: "I believe that CDC is a wonderful material." - Absolutely Michael, a very high percentage of my fishing involves CDC flies!

What about the F-Fly, I don't seem to hear so much about these nowadays?

Marjan Fratnik's F-Fly was possibly my first encounter with CDC, it was so easy to tie, and it caught me a great many fish.

Is anybody fishing them?

Jim Eddie

« Reply #7 on: 15/08/2024 at 17:47 »
Nice fly, an F fly works well at Fedderate when olives are hatching.

Regards
Jim

Mike Barrio

Re: Favourite CDC Flies? New
« Reply #8 on: 15/08/2024 at 19:55 »
That's not snow in the pic by the way, it is sitting on A4 paper  *smiley-grin*

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com